Things I Liked About Ross McCammon’s Works Well With Others: An Outsider’s Guide to Shaking Hands, Shutting Up, Handling Jerks, and Other Crucial Skills in Business That No One Ever Teaches You:
1. Chapter 2: Should You Keep Reading This Book established that I was well within my rights to skip around in the book. And so I did.
2. Chapter 4: Classic Interview Rules, Plus One More is a good nutshell list.
3. Chapter 8: Ways in Which you Must Screw Up Early On: A Handy Checklist. It made me feel good to read about someone even more horrible at First Day Jitters at a job than I [hope that I] am.
4. “You cannot be an interesting conversationalist if you are faking interest in something.”
5. I was so happy to have my “It’s a little earlier than I want to leave this party, so I’d better leave” philosophy validated.