It's not unusual to have a movie "based on the novel of...", but it isn't nearly as common to have a television series based on a book. Sometimes television programs take their inspiration from a series of novels or a character (Sherlock Holmes seems the favorite for mystery shows), but rarely can an episode be traced back to the original source material. Therefore, in the spirit of the Reads to Reels page already completed, here is a list of television shows based on books...and actually true to the source material! Since television isn't rated, I will be a meddler and assign my own.
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Granada Television 1984-1994 (PG)
- Cranford (and Return to Cranford), BBC 2007- 2009 (PG)
- Lark Rise to Candleford, BBC 2008-2011 (PG)
- A Nero Wolfe Mystery, Jaffe/Braunstein Films 2001-2002 (PG)
- Sherlock, BBC 2010-PRESENT (PG-13 for drug references, British swearing, American swearing, non-graphic nudity, gore, and bunnicide among other things)