Monday, June 2, 2014

Groundhog Day


A while back some coworkers of mine were having a deep and involved discussion of the Bill Murray film, Groundhog Day. For those who aren't aware of the movie's main plot, it's about a cynical and mean-spirited TV news reporter who gets stuck repeating the same day over and over (Groundhog Day) and only can continue with his life once he's become a nicer person and "done the day right." This being a Bill Murray movie he also gets away with a lot of pranks and things before he reforms, and because only he remembers the previous days no one else can hold him responsible for those actions beyond the 24-hour "time bubble." 


"What would you do if you were stuck in the same 24 hours?" was the question up for discussion amongst my peers. Some talked about catching up with the latest shows on their Netflix queue, or learning a different language.

To me, the True Solution is obvious. READ.

I would be at the library reading every book I'd ever wanted to read. Of course I'd eventually have to start time again once I'd finished with that library, because with the time-bubble effect I couldn't actually put anything on hold. But by that time I would have put a sizable dent in my To Be Read mountain of books. And maybe I'd also have learned a different language too. That would be from reading the 400's shelf in the ol' Dewey Decimal system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment