Monday, July 7, 2014

Bookworms Can Be Easy To Amuse


Yesterday at work I was using my Super Neat Sharpie Library Processing Handwriting* to write out sales tags.  Because some talents are wasted on the mundane.  In doing so, however, I found some piece of furniture named the Quimby, and that made it all worthwhile.


For those not in the know--or who haven't read my previous Beverly Cleary-lovin' blog post--Quimby is the last name of Ramona Quimby, otherwise known as Ramona the Pest, Ramona the Brave, Ramona Forever, Ramona Age 8, etc. 



I was sorely tempted, therefore, to emulate Ramona's handwriting on the sales tag. It would have been so easy to add some cat ears and whiskers to the Q (which looks like a hunched-up cat with a tail), thusly:

Illustration by Alan Tiegreen
Source: http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7cdhmqVzj1rvkehno1_500.jpg 
Now it could have been the incidental Sharpie fume inhalation that got me thinking so intently about this, but I probably would have seriously entertained this possibility in any case.  This is because--while my current employment allows me plenty of reading time--there is very little literary stimulation to be had at a furniture store.  Oh, once in awhile I'll come across a customer named Virginia Wolfe** (wrong spelling, I know.  Alas!), or a [Count of] Monte Cristo Circle, or King Arthur's Ct. (I see what you did there, Anonymous City Planner), and when that rare occurrence finally occurs I glean as much pleasure out of it as I can. 

Unfortunately for all who will read that sales tag, as well as for all who read this blog and would doubtless have been vastly entertained if I had actually done it, I am far too professional and mature to do such a thing.....  




This is what my coworkers get for not putting out price tags in a timely fashion.  Leave a "Quimby" price tag out too long, it grows cat ears and whiskers.


*Patent pending


**On an unrelated but still awesome note I once called a customer named Patrick Stewart, but was crestfallen when the voice over the phone was a bland Midwestern American accent--if I wanted to hear that I'd talk more often myself.  I tried to engineer it so he'd say "Make it so" nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment