Monday, February 11, 2019

Practical Christianity: Introduction



Awhile back I slogged through a very long and very dense essay titled A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes. For brevity’s sake (and to belay carpal tunnel syndrome) I will nickname it Practical Christianity. Published in 1797, this essay was written by William Wilberforce, whom I had best known beforehand as being an instrumental player in abolishing the slave trade in Britain.

This work is in public domain and so I downloaded a free version on my Kindle. I read it during my breaks at work, which hindered me from reading it very fast, and in the end I think that was a good thing because this is one book that one cannot simply breeze through. 

Practical Christianity is in fact a book that I highly recommend, though not without some warnings. This is a book to approach with patience. One does not recommend their friend visit a mountain-top without first advising that friend to prepare for the climb. There is a lot of theological, philosophical, and downright archaic vocabulary, not to mention very complex sentences whose grammar and structure take some effort to decipher. Once I knew what each individual word means, and had untangled the meaning of the sentence structure to find out what Wilberforce is saying, I still had to mentally grapple with his thoughts and arguments to really get at what the meaning.  

So yes, I admit that there was a lot of time I was reading and feeling lost and perplexed, wondering why I had decided to read this book in the first place. But then like an epiphany I would come across a treasure of a phrase, or sentence, or paragraph, or passage, and it was these moments that more than made up for the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment