Monday, February 11, 2013

The Often Overlooked Lloyd Alexander


"We don't need to have just one favorite. We keep adding favorites. Our favorite book is always the book that speaks most directly to us at a particular state in our lives. And our lives change. We have other favorites that give us what we most need at that particular time. But we never lose the old favorites. They're always with us. We just sort of accumulate them."
~ Lloyd Alexander

I’ve decided to declare today as Lloyd Alexander Appreciation Day, for the simple reason that a) I want to post a bunch of stuff about him right now, and b) he’s awesome.



Lloyd Alexander was one of the first authors I read when I was a teen whose writing made me want to become a serious, honest-to-goodness writer/storyteller. I can’t explain exactly what it is about his “narrative voice” that I find so sympathetic, but whether it’s the affection he holds for all his characters, the fun he’s obviously having with the storytelling process, or the humility with which he works hard at creating worlds that entertain and inspire, I almost immediately felt that if I met him, we would be best friends. 


Lloyd Alexander Interview, Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jln9VPoP3Tw

Lloyd Alexander Interview, Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GilIovrb4uE


(OMANOMANOMAN HE WAS FRIENDS WITH TRINA SCHART HYMAN!!??? I missed that epic detail the first time I watched this!) 


Lloyd Alexander Interview, Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jln9VPoP3Tw


You know, the first copies of his work I read had no pictures of him in the back.  They were paperback copies of his The Chronicles of Prydain, in which there is a character named Flewddyr Fflam, and I decided that Mr. Alexander looked like him (according to the character description). Then I borrowed a hardcover book from the library, and lo in behold, there was a photo of him that looked exactly how I’d pictured him. And when I finally found this series of YouTube videos, it even sounds like I imagined him. 
 
That’s simply good writing.  Writing so that your very self is so poured out into your narrative voice that complete strangers know you on sight.

"Books can truly change our lives: the lives of those who read them, the lives of those who write them."

No comments:

Post a Comment