Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In which words fail me: Thoughts on Longfellow's "The Broken Oar"


I tried. I really did. I tried to think of some angle from which to approach this poem. But I couldn't. Anything I could say would be self-evident in the poem. Unless I said something inappropriate (which is not unprecedented, now that I think about it...).

There are some things in life that words are inadequate to describe.
And there are some WORDS in life that are inadequate to discuss.
At least at this moment, that's how I feel about this poem.
The Broken Oar by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 


Once upon Iceland's solitary strand

A poet wandered with his book and pen,

Seeking some final word, some sweet Amen,

Wherewith to close the volume in his hand.

The billows rolled and plunged upon the sand,

The circling sea–gulls swept beyond his ken,

And from the parting cloud–rack now and then

Flashed the red sunset over sea and land.

Then by the billows at his feet was tossed

A broken oar; and carved thereon he read,

"Oft was I weary, when I toiled at thee";

And like a man, who findeth what was lost,

He wrote the words, then lifted up his head,

And flung his useless pen into the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment